I love being your pastor! Interestingly enough I found this list in my daily reading/research. It come from the artesian spring of research by Thom Rainer and shares what Pastors love most about being a Pastor. Possibly it will add a bit of insight for you. I would rank these a little differently than the order listed below but nonetheless it is a great list!
If there is one of these areas that YOUR Pastor can reach out to you OR if you know of someone who needs a touch in one of these areas then please, please, please, give me a call so we can make another connection in our community for the Kingdom!
1. SEEING LIVES TRANSFORMED! This response was an overwhelming number one. You could almost feel the enthusiasm for this aspect of their ministry as they responded. These pastors feel that God call them to lead toward transformation of others, and seeing that happen is their greatest joy in ministry.
2. PREACHING! Frankly, I expected this response to be number one, but it was a distant second. Preaching is very important to these pastors, but transformed lives are the most important. Of course, some of them noted that preaching transforms lives.
3. PERSONAL EVANGELISM! Though distant to number one, sharing the gospel one-on-one was a clear number three. Here is a fascinating facet of this study to me: Over 85 percent of the pastors named one of these first three as their response. The next eight were named by less than 15 percent of the pastors.
4. PEOPLE/MEMBERS! There is little doubt that these pastors love their churches and thus the members. Many of them exuded joy just by writing about the church members.
5. DEVELOPING NEW RELATIONSHIPS! These pastors include a number of extroverts who really like to meet new people. We introverts don’t understand.
6. MINISTERING IN THE COMMUNITY! It was a joy to hear a number of pastors express intense love for the community where their church is located. I can only imagine their ministries are bearing much fruit.
7. MINISTERING IN THE COMMUNITY! Though similar to number four, the pastors sometimes explicitly mentioned ministering to church members in times of need.
8. CASTING A VISION! The only surprise to me at this response was how low it ranked among pastors. I thought I would hear leading and vision-casting as a response near the top.
9. STAFF RELATIONSHIPS! Not all pastors have other ministry staff serving alongside them, but a few of them did express gratitude for those who do.
10. MENTORING OR DISCIPLING ONE-ON-ONE! This response was not a surprise except for how few pastors mentioned it. Since the first three responses dominated the poll, number 10 was almost an afterthought.
The Shepherd loves the Sheep,